Saturday, February 08, 2014

Little bit of sunshine


Where did January go?  It happens every year.  All of a sudden, it’s February!  The days are getting longer and summer is on its way.  Well, perhaps, that’s a little bit optimistic but we’re definitely getting more daylight hours!

I was feeling a little summery and hence wanted a taste of the tropics!  Coconut and mango!  England is a long way from the tropics, hence it was canned and dried coconut, and frozen mango!

I adapted my favourite vanilla cupcake recipe from Sweetapolita and added a little extra coconut filling to the batter.  Topped them with mango buttercream and voila, good to go!  A little burst of sunshine in my mouth!



What I used for the Coconut Cupcakes (makes roughly 12):
(adapted from here and here)
125ml coconut milk
2 egg whites
1 egg
20g cornflour
155g plain flour
Pinch of salt
150g sugar
10g baking powder
85g butter
180C/160C 20 minutes

What I used for the filling:
1.5 cups of shredded coconut
½ cup of condensed milk

What I used for the Mango Buttercream:
Mango buttercream
190g butter
260g icing sugar
1.5 tbs milk
62.5ml mango puree (¼ cup)

Optional:
Chopped hazelnuts or other nuts

What I did for the cupcakes:
1. First of all, mix the shredded coconut and condensed milk for the filling.  Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C (fan oven).
3. Line a cupcake/muffin tin with cupcake/muffin liners.
4. The recipe I adapted the cupcakes from is based on what I call the “topsy-turvy” method, where the butter is whisked into the dry ingredients first, before mixing with the wet ingredients.  Super easy however, old habits are hard to break so I tend to stick to the usual “cream butter and sugar first” method.
5. Hence, cream the butter and sugar.
6. Add the egg whites and egg to the creamed butter and sugar.  Mix well.
7. Add the coconut milk to the mixture.  Mix well again.
8. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt).
9. Fold the dry ingredients into the batter with a wooden spoon.
10. Spoon into the cupcake tins/liners.
11. Drop a heaped teaspoonful of the filling into the batter for each cupcake.  Push the filling into the batter so it doesn’t stick out too much.  The bits that stick out may get a bit brown but I quite like the caramelised coconutty bits.
12. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
13. Leave in tin for 10 minutes then take the cupcakes out and let them cool.

What I did for the buttercream:
1. Stick the butter, icing sugar and milk into a bowl.  Beat, beat and beat again until light and fluffy. 
2. Add the mango puree and beat beat beat.

Putting it together:

1. Once the cupcakes are cool, ice the cupcakes with the buttercream.  

Voila, done! :-)

20 comments:

  1. OMG they looks fantastic and perfect for a summer day with a few fruit drinks !!! Send me some!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noelia. Too bad it's winter over here and rainy! Enjoy your summer!

      Delete
  2. I am waiting impatiently for summer to go. Dont like summer here, its too hot.
    But I love summer fruits and mango is one of them :).
    Your mango buttercream cupcakes will be a perfect treat for me to forget about the soaring thermometer outside :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grass is always greener :-) I'm hanging out for summer!

      Delete
  3. Colors of sunshine on your cupcakes definitely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so...haven't seen the sun for ages so don't know if I recognise it anymore :-)

      Delete
  4. Love these coconut cupcakes - they look so pretty! I am definitely ready for some sunshine since it's been really cold in Canada - these cupcakes are perfect for brightening up anyone's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cupcakes Fiona!
    Reminds me that I haven't been doing cupcake for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cheery and make me look forward to the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! Your mango butter butter cream looks soft and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Corner, I definitely ate way too much!

      Delete
  8. Hi Fiona thanks for dropping by my blog and would love to have you siting more often. I love your mango buttercream, looks so delicious. I, on the other side of the world from you, am experiencing some very very hot days here. I am looking forward to winter, and some warm and hearty meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by Veronica! Enjoy the heat! :-)

      Delete
  9. Lovely pictures! These look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm living in Malaysia, but your little bit of sunshine cheered me up nonetheless. Nothing like a small portion of joy to be shared around with friends and strangers... around the world, be it winter, summer or year-round tropic weather.

    Have a great week ahead, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenny, I miss the Malaysian heat right now :-) Have a good week too!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...