Friday, March 16, 2007

Super-quick-throw-everything-in-1-pot chickpea curry

Because I often nibble on snacks that I shouldn’t really be touching with a 10-metre pole (ie. Crisps/chips and chocolate!), most of the time, I feel like I should be eating something healthy when it comes to the main meals. Only problem, I just can’t eat a salad for a main meal. No matter how hard I try.

When I try, I start off eating a salad, then 30 minutes later, raid the kitchen eating everything in sight. So I figure, it’s better to eat something that appeals to me, and try to make that healthy, than have salad as “starters” to a huge meal of junk later.

So here’s another quick and lazy meal that I whipped up in less than 10 minutes with only very very basic spices (I have nothing left in the kitchen!). I added lots of broccoli so that I felt better about having eaten a big packet of chips 2 hours earlier!

This is what I put in:

  • 1 tbs curry powder (mixed in ½ cup of water)
  • 1 tbs ground coriander (mixed with the curry powder paste above)
  • 1 ½ cups water
  • ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 tomato diced
  • lots of garlic (minced)
  • Sliver of ginger (minced)
  • 400g can chickpeas
  • broccoli
  • mushrooms

I first mixed the curry powder and ground coriander in about ½ a cup of water.
I fried the onion till brown, and then added the garlic, ginger, tomato and curry paste. I then cooked the tomato until soft, added the water and threw everything else in.
10 minutes later – it’s all done.

Not exactly an extremely original or creative dish but at least it stopped me from having more chips as dessert!

6 comments:

  1. wow! i just made easy curry too. :D chickpeas yum. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Buddingcook,
    I just read your blog entry - great idea using your dutch oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey wokandspoon! :) those nibbling habits sound way too familiar!! Actually, no, if I've decided on chips, I'll make a meal of them, then brush my teeth earlier than usual so that I don't have subsequent urges for a meal! :) :)

    Sorry I'm taking so long to reply your e-mail! I will eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chickpea curry, I feel like buying some naan and dip in your curry :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shilpa: Good technique! At least you don't end up "snacking" after your "meal" of chips!
    Tigerfish: Mmmm...naan! I once made naan but it's too much work - much easier to buy ready-made ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy ready-made naan! You thought I made it myself...nah nah! ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...