Sunday, March 09, 2014

Scrumptious Blueberry Crumble Bars


I love blueberries in all forms: fresh, frozen, jam, compote, ice-cream, cake, yogurt….blueberry anything and everything.  While our fridge is constantly stocked with fresh blueberries, I almost never use fresh blueberries for cooking.  It just seems like a waste to boil down a load of fresh juicy and Expensive blueberries. 

Because of my penchant for blueberry type desserts, I tend to have a ton of frozen blueberries in the freezer.  Just as easy to use and a lot cheaper.  Gotta save those pennies when we can!  I’ve been known to munch my way through a packet of frozen blueberries as well – lovely during summer!

So, nothing really new about these bars and there have been a million other versions of blueberry crumble bars posted on the web.  However, I love how easy this recipe is to make..and eat!  It works as a snack and it also works as a hot pudding type dessert!


This recipe was adapted from here.

What I used for the crumble pastry:
190g rolled oats
135g plain flour
127g whole wheat flour
125g caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
175g unsalted butter, slightly softened at room temperature
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs cold water

What I used for the filling:
Roughly 3-4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
125g caster sugar
lemon juice from ½ a lemon
40g cornflour


What I did:
1. Preheat your oven to 180C.
2. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square baking tin.
3. Mix the blueberries, caster sugar, lemon juice and corn flour. 
4. I used frozen blueberries and didn’t defrost them ahead of time, so I zapped them in the microwave to defrost!  Set this aside.
5. Mix the plain and wholewheat flour, oats, cinnamon, salt, sugar, butter and vanilla.  I used my food processor for this.
6. Add the water and mix again.
7. Spread 2/3 of the crumble mixture in the baking tin and press down with your fingers.
8. Spread the prepared blueberry filling over the mixture in the baking tin.
9. Pour the remaining crumble mixture over the blueberries and lightly press down.
10. Bake for roughly 45 minutes until slightly browned.
11. Allow to cool in the tin.

I tend to eat this as a snack but my other half has decided that’s it’s better hot swimming in a pool of custard!

20 comments:

  1. Love blueberriesI Fresh blueberries are the best to munch on. I also don't use fresh blueberries for cooking but I really don't bake so my frozen blueberries just go into smoothies/blended beverages and as toppings on yogurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'll munch on fresh and frozen blueberries - love them!

      Delete
  2. Blueberries are so versatile. Your crumble bars look delicious and healthy too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crumble bars are gorgeous - LOVE that beautiful blue/purple hue from the blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! It is indeed looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiona. This is a lovely cake. So generous with the blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These crumble bars look fantastic Fiona! I love blueberries in any form too and usually have a stash in my freezer so I can't wait to make these since you totally got me craving for a piece now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blueberry crumble! *swoons*

    These might even be better than the usual apple or cherry crumble... and in the neat form of bars too. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)
      Thanks Kenny! I love blueberries! Wish they were cheaper though!

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean -- these superfruits cost a bomb sometimes! :(

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean -- these superfruits cost a bomb sometimes! :(

      Delete
  8. These blueberry bars look awesome...like that is it simple to make it...
    Thanks for sharing the recipe...have a wonderful weekend Fiona :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Juliana. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. frozen berries sound great for making desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. I usually stock up frozen blueberries, as fresh ones are expensive.
    Looks good will give it a try :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Fresh ones are always so expensive!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...