Thanks to Sharmi from Neivedyam, Sunita from Sunita’s World and the Cooking Ninja , I’ve been feeling guilty for the whole weekend, not being able to sleep or eat (!!!) due to the remorse that I’ve been carrying around for procrastinating with this tag.
Ok, maybe it’s not that dramatic (just kidding Ladies!) but it has been at the back of my mind!
Coming up with 7 random things about myself wasn’t easy. I tried to make it as “foody” as I could but you know, the stress and old age, my memory isn’t that good anymore! Oh well, here goes:
1. I’m ethnically Chinese but I can’t speak or read a word of mandarin (apart from a very small handful of characters)! When I was little, I hated the mandarin classes in school as well as the mandarin classes that I had to do after school so I never really put any effort in and made every excuse I could to skip the classes.
I totally regret that now because when I go to Chinese restaurants, I can’t read the Chinese menus and am forced to either order what I already know or go with the boring “foreigner” menus. One day, I’ll properly learn to read mandarin!
2. I was a real tom boy when I was young and would climb trees and run around the neighbourhood with all my boy friends (not boyfriends! I was 7 or 8!). However, the only time I liked playing with soft toys (I never liked dolls!) was when my mum made little pandan cup cakes, filling the house with the most beautiful aroma. I then got to have little tea parties with real tea and pandan cup cakes with my soft toys! MMMmmmmm.
3. I like eating ketchup and plain white rice.
4. I’m a danger in the kitchen. I once burnt rice on an electric stove.
About 10 years ago, I was visiting a friend of my mum’s in Bath and decided to make dinner. I had fish, veggies and rice, everything for a nice meal. The only problem was that I had never cooked rice without a rice cooker before. I ended up putting in too much water in the pot so the rice was very very gluggy. Then once the rice was
So much for my cooking skills! I had just made burnt, dry chuk.
My mum’s friend was very nice however and ate the burnt, soggy rice!
5. Another reason why I’m a danger in the kitchen, I forget that I have things on the stove! I once forgot that I was boiling 2 eggs until I heard 2 loud explosions coming from the kitchen! It was the eggs! The water had dried up and the eggs had exploded from being in the saucepan without any water! Quite dangerous!
6. I love chocolate! I can eat an entire mega long (I think they’re 500g) Milka chocolate slab with whole hazelnuts all at once! Without getting sick…and still wanting more.
7. When I was studying in Québec a long time ago, I cooked seeni sambol (Sri Lankan maldive fish sambal) for 8 friends and it was sooooo hot and spicy that we all had what my cousins and I call, “burny” bums, for the next 2 days ;-)
Only 4 out of those 8 are still friends.
Oh, and my husband obviously didn’t mind as he was also one of the 8!
This tag has been going around the food bloggers in the last week so I’m not sure who has and hasn’t been tagged yet. And I also have to tag 7 people! I don’t have that many friends :-(
Ok, I tag:
Tigerfish from Tezcape
Cynthia from Tastes Like Home
Retno from Kedai Hamburg
Judy from Grandmother Stories
Oh, and because I really really slaved over this tag, you all have to do it too ;-)