Monday, June 11, 2007

Dublin

Clockwise from top right:
Irish pub, the Guiness lake (looks like a pint of Guiness on the side!), Celtic cross at Glendalough, Georgian doors in Dublin.

One good thing about May to the beginning of June in Germany is that there are so many public holidays. In May, practically every second weekend was a long, either 3- or 4-day weekend.

We took advantage of last weekend (4 days!) to hop over to Dublin and came back ready to pack up and move there. Compared to sedate Frankfurt, Dublin was definitely jumping with life and full of extremely warm and friendly people with cute accents!

Eating out however was an expensive affair. Dublin is not a cheap city. In fact, prices were similar to those in Paris, which I found surprising as Paris is a pretty expensive city. Main meals in Dublin ranged from roughly 11EUR upwards. However, we were spoilt for choice! It seemed that there are as many eateries and restaurants as there were pubs in Dublin!

Looking back on the photos now, it seems that I hardly took any photos of food because I kept forgetting (probably due to the obligatory pre-dinner beer! Too many Irish pubs!)! And the times that I did remember to take photos, they turned out slightly blurry (once again, too many Irish pubs!).

Clockwise from top right:
Modern pub food – fish on a bed of minty mashed peas & a huge bowl of chips (not in photo), fried gyoza, huge chunks of fried tofu with mango dressing, bento box.

20 comments:

  1. Ooh ... I love Dublin. Reading your post brings back lot of memories for me. Hmm ... Fresh Irish and German beer ... you are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Irish love to have fun! I love going to Dublin. I've linked to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the info and pics on Dublin. it was also good to know on approx.how much the food costs etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard Dublin was great please, wish one day i can visit there....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I was in Dublin in December many years ago and it was cold! But there were several cute little places to eat. Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CookingNinja: All that beer isn't very "lucky" for my waistline! ;-)

    Msiagirl: Thx for the link and yep - the Irish certainly know how to party!

    Sharmi: Yep - it's an expensive city for tourists. However if you book ahead, you might get a good deal for a hotel.

    WanderingC: Urggh - December. I can imagine it would have been wet, windy and cold! brrrrr.

    Lia: It's lots of fun and we had great weather. Not sure what the weather is like in winter though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha ... I would totally agree with you, but darn, I would love to have a jug of German and Irish beer right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wish to visit dublin 1day :D
    those foods r so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  9. You pictures of Dublin bring back lots of fond memories! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Same with me, it brings back a lot of beautiful memories of my long stay in scotland and all my irish mates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Next time you go travel and happen to chance upon any Asian stores, you can buy the dried tofu skin...;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so lucky to have such a long weekend.

    Cute accents? Why did I see a "green elf-like creature" image all of a sudden ? ;p

    From the pictures, seems that it's really better food there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you recommend a must-drink Dublin beer? My husband and I tasted a dark lager once and it was pretty good. It is hard to visit a pub with 3 young kids.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. CookingNinja: Can you get German/Irish beer where you are? Where do you live?

    Isha: I'd like to go back as well!

    EastMeetsWestKitchen: When did you visit Dublin?

    BigBoysOven: How long did you stay in Scotland? The Scots are known for their partying habits as well!

    RasaMalaysia: You know, I did think of that as we passed a few Asian stores...only problem...we didn't have any bag space!

    Tigerfish: There's a huge choice of cuisine in Dublin! it's really international there. Plus with all the government tax concessions for business over there - lots of companies have relocated or opened up there so there are lots of mainland Europeans and other nationalities that work there now.

    And I was also disappointed not to see any leprechauns around ;-)


    LeePing: I don't really know a "must-drink" Irish beer...um...Guiness? I'm not that keen on stouts as i find it too heavy. One of my favourites is Smithwicks - it's a "red" beer. I love red beers. There's also Kilkenny but that can be a little "soupy" as well! Bulmer's Cider is also really popular over there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was before kids. I was there in Dublin and drove with H from Dublin to Galway and back. Really enjoyed the people, food and 40 shades of green! And to your question on my blog, you can find goji at asian markets too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live in France - enjoying the beautiful French wines. There are lots of Irish pubs where I live but it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eastmeetswestkitchen: thx for the goji answer - I was going to check back on your blog actually! Hehe - and yeah, everything was green in Ireland!

    CookingNinja: Mmmm, French wine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes yes...this is the name I was looking for....leprechauns ;p

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was in Scotland nearly 10years, pretty long rite?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bigboysoven: Um, 10 years isn't that long ago ;-) If you said 20 years, now that would be long!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...